Sunday, June 13, 2010

Day 6: Akureyri

Last night after dinner I watched the World Cup match between England and the U.S. My host father and I watched the whole game in the basement. It was pretty awkward, he's not much of a talker, and during halftime and after the game when all of the commentators were discussing the plays completely in Icelandic I had no idea what they were saying. At least we tied 1-1.

Today I slept in at my host family's house and after we ate breakfast we spent the morning outside in the yard talking with the neighbors (the same ones that host another SIT student, Nina). Around noon we had a hamburger cookout and a really good dessert. It was a layered dessert with crushed macaroons, chocolate covered raisins, cream and pomegranate seeds.

After lunch Nina and I went for a walk around town. We first went to go see the harbor, and along the way ran into another SIT student, Michael. The three of us then went into town and bumped into three other SIT students. So, the six of us ambled around, going in stores and talking about our host families. Akureyri only has a population of about 17,000 but it still very urban feeling in the town square. We stopped at one cafe, I can't remember the name, but they had the best hot chocolate I've ever tasted. I'm sure that some of us will be frequenting that cafe often. Some of the students went on drinking last night and it sounded like there was quite a lot to do. When they went around 10 pm the bars were pretty empty, and when they left at 2 am things just started getting busy. One of the host families owns the town's gym, so tomorrow we're going to the gym after class. They're providing us all with free gym passes for the three weeks we're here.









I'm back home now and dinner is going to be served soon. The house is loud and crazy most of the time with a two year-old and three year-old running around. One funny thing is that in Icelandic pee is pissa, so when the little boys have to use the bathroom they are shouting about how they have to pissa. Apparently, to poop is skitur or something like that.

I'll have to ask my host family to take a picture with me so I can post a picture soon. I'll take a picture of the house as well. Tomorrow we start classes. We're at the university from 9 to 5! I can't wait to learn more Icelandic though. Today someone rode their bike up to me when I was waiting on the street for Nina and asked me a question (I think directions). I guess I don't look American enough. Bless bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment