Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Day 1 in Iceland: Keflavik

After waiting for 8 hours in the JFK Airport in New York, my Icelandair flight boarded for Keflavik. We didn't take off until after 9 pm and I was exhausted, but the airplane had TV consoles with an entertainment system. So, I spent the first hour of my flight learning basic Icelandic, going through numbers, dates, words and phrases. It did help immensely, but the language is still quite daunting. One of the in-flight movies was an Icelandic film called, "Mr. Bjarnfredarson." It's somewhat of a dark comedy about a dysfunctional family, but it was pretty good.



I managed to get a couple of hours of sleep when the plane landed. There is a 5 hour time difference from Austin, so when I met up with the SIT group at 7:30 am, I was still functioning at 2 am time.

After checking into our quaint little guest house about a half mile from the airport (Perhaps I'll post pictures tomorrow), we got on our bus to go visit Svartsengi, a nearby geothermal power plant that uses geothermal heat to generate electricity.



There are too many pictures to post here, but the interior was pretty impressive. Afterwards, we drove over to the Blue Lagoon, one of Iceland's most popular geothermal baths. The water was so soothing and there was a natural silica mud mask that you can put on your face that is collected on site. We're back at the guest house now and dinner is ready. Tomorrow we head to Solheimar, an eco village outside of Reykjavik. Until then!

No comments:

Post a Comment