Saturday, June 26, 2010

Day 18: Environmental Policy and Resource Economics

So today was our first day learning about environmental policy and resource economics. Our lecturer is a professor from the university of Iceland and she's currently working on a governmental board to develop a national energy policy for Iceland.

I haven't taken an economics class in 3 years and all of my engineering classes are pretty technical so I'm learning some useful information about energy policy and its environmental, social and economic implications. Today was pretty fast paced and it's only going to get more involved.

After our renewable energy class we walked to Icelandic and we had a scavenger hunt to do (kinda). We were divided into groups of four and we had to walk around town and go to the post office and ask how much stamps cost, go to the bank to inquire about the exchange rate (I converted some dollars to krona while we were there), and get a signature at an art gallery among other things. It was fun, but I honestly didn't learn much today.

Some of the students and I met up at one of the cafes in town afterwards and talked for a while. My friend Rosie and I went to the bakery beforehand and I bought a pastry that is basically a giant chocolate covered cinammon roll. It was much bigger than it is in the picture below. I don't know if they're traditional, but I've seen them in several shops since I've been here. It was delicious!




I left the downtown area around 6 to be home in time for dinner. Upon finishing dinner I just spent the rest of the night reading more assigned articles. Tomorrow is Saturday but we still have class!

No comments:

Post a Comment