Saturday, July 3, 2010

Day 25: Last Day in Akureyri

I slept through my alarms and arrived to class late today, but we were just finishing up fuel cells today and the beginning was review. We got out of class at noon since we finished the material early so several of us went into town for lunch. My friend Evan and I went to the Salvation Army in town and I bought some jeans to make shorts out of since the weather has been quite sunny here.

Afterwards we met up with some other people from our group for lunch, and went to Krua Siam, a Thai restaurant in town. I got some delicious Pad Thai, which was a nice change from the sandwiches we made ourselves at lunch for the past two weeks.

Needing to catch up on sleep, I went back home and fell asleep in my room. At 6 pm a picnic in the botanical gardens was planned for all of the host families to celebrate our stay in Akureyri. I arrived a little late since my host dad was competing in a soccer tournament. Dinner was nice, we had food catered from a catering company, and just sat in the grass with our families. I didn’t hang out much after dinner since the little boys in my family go to bed rather early.






My host family! (Mom - Perla, Dad - Thorhallur, Blonde boy - Orn, Red-haired boy - Ari. Freyja was visiting her aunt, and Kari was out with friends. They only were home for about the last week I was there though)

When we got back home, I watched the Ghana vs. Uruguay World Cup game, and then gave my gifts from home to my host family. My host dad was excited about using the Rudy’s Bar-B-Q sauce I brought, and they seemed to like the UT beanie and the Texas Folk music I brought as well. After the kids went to bed, my host mom Perla and I went across the street to Nina’s house to play a board game called Ticket to Ride. We had talked about a game night on one of our first night’s there, but it never really came to fruition. So, Perla brought some white wine and we sat around Nina’s family’s kitchen table and played and chatted. Nina and I tried a non-alcoholic malt beverage which tasted like beer minus the alcohol. When drinking it, it tasted like soda, but left a horrible beer-like aftertaste. I just stuck to the popcorn Nina’s mom made. The evening was really enjoyable, our host parents treated us like their friends rather than their “kids.” We were all joking and having fun, and my host mom was getting a little tipsy. Samantha, if you’re reading this you’ll be happy to know that I’ve learned well, I almost won our game, losing to Nina’s host dad by only 3 points.



After the game the four of them were watching P.S. I Love You, and I went downtown to meet up with our group. We were planning a big last night out since we were leaving Akureyri at 9 am the next morning. I went buy Blaur Kannan (I think that’s what it’s called) first to buy one last cup of hot chocolate. We’re all going to miss that café. Then I met everybody at the bar next door where they had begun the “festivities.” We then proceeded to Carolina, and ended up at Kaffi Akureyri at around 2 am. We hadn’t visited that bar before, but we thought we’d give it a try.


Blaur Kannan


Best hot chocolate ever (notice the chocolate shavings)


The green bar next door to Blaur Kannan

Kaffi Akureyri was a lot busier than Café Amour ever was, and there was definitely a younger crowd there. When we arrived, people were just beginning to go downtown for the night, so the dance floor wasn’t that crowded. However, soon the dance floor filled and the evening got rather hectic. I danced for almost two hours, and the DJ began to cycle through the same songs (lame). There were so many drunk people and we had to kind of keep the creepers off the girls in our group. It was a fun night overall though, and I think we were all glad that we gave Kaffi Akureyri a chance.

I walked home at around 3:30 am and then showered since I was so hot from dancing. Then I had to pack so I didn’t get to bet until late. Last night in Akureyri!

No comments:

Post a Comment